Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Being The Progressive Insurance Girl

So I was in Tucson this weekend, heavily liquored and a thought occurred to me as I was watching one of those Progressive Insurance Commercials. I know that the chick who plays her probably wanted to be a serious actress and I wonder if she's really angry and bitter that she's the Progressive Insurance Girl. On the one hand, in this economy she is probably thrilled just to have a job. Even in the best of times it's hard for actors to find work. So maybe she's happy and feels fortunate that she FINALLY has an income that affords her the freedom to pursue her craft and at least be able to provide for herself.

One the other hand, she probably wanted to play Lady Macbeth on Broadway and is filled with despair while she's in hair and make-up being transformed into the Progressive Insurance girl. Sure she's on TV and is on the radio now but she probably starved for her craft and feels like a sell-out now that she's making a living as the Progressive Insurance girl. And she probably really fills with rage when people recognize her on the street. Everywhere she goes, over-enthusiastic schmucks flip out when they see her. They expect her to be all bubbly and perky like the Progressive Insurance girl. But in reality all she wants is a cigarette and a cup of coffee while she wallows in self-loathing.

She probably REALLY hates Lindsay Lohan for being a no-talent twit who pissed away an opportunity that was handed to her on a silver platter while she (Progressive Insurance girl) work hard and perfected her craft and believed in herself only to be The Progressive Insurance girl.

I just wondered about that. As I said on the one hand, work is work and in these times it really is all about survival. But on the other hand, if I had to be The Progressive Insurance girl, I might want to kill myself or at the very least develop a serious drug habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment